Tonight I made a simple, but toothsome dinner of brown rice and carrots with ginger-soy braising greens and some yummy slivers of cheese on the top. For dessert, I heated up a carrot-squash muffin and had some coffee from my Vietnamese coffee pot. Yum.
Hearty Brown Rice with Carrots
1 cup short grain brown rice, rinsed
1.5 cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic finely diced
1/4 onion finely diced
1/2 cup fresh carrots, chopped small
1) heat olive oil in a small pot/saucepan
2) when it's heated so it changes consistency and swishes around in the pan easily, add in onions & stir. 30 seconds later, add garlic and fry some more. 30 seconds later, add carrots and stir some more. onions should be translucent by now.
3) add in your rice kernels and stir to coat with oil. mix everything up well.
4) add your water and bring to a boil with the lid on the saucepan.
5) take off your lid and turn the heat down to a simmer, cook 25 minutes, stirring every-so-often. If all the water evaporates, add a splash.
6) if you like your rice a little wet/chewy, add a splash of water (a tsp or two) and salt & pepper to taste, give the rice a stir, then turn off the heat and leave it to sit for 5-10 minutes.
And heated up the next day with a scrambled egg: